Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Quince preserve


My neighbour Toñi gave me some quinces! Thank you, thank you, thank you! 



The first thing that came to mind is to make the famous (at least in Spain) quince preserve. Last year I made my debut with this recipe but as I have a very bad memory and I didn’t write it down, I had to call my mother to remind me how to make it. Here is the procedure...



QUINCE PRESERVE

1 kg of clean quince
¾ kg sugar

The first thing is to peel and cut the quinces (which is not easy with quinces as they are). To do this, cook the quinces in boiling water for 15-20 minutes in a normal pot, or 5 minutes in the pressure cooker as I did. Drain the water and wait until they cool down before peeling and cutting them. As I am very impatient, I didn’t wait enough and I burned my hands. L

In the empty pot put the chopped quince and sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking. When the quinces are softened liquidise with the blender and continue cooking.

BE CAREFULL! From this point, the quince-sugar mixture has become a kind of magma that will not hesitate to burn you if you are not careful, so I recommend lowering the heat when you are about to stir it and to use a lid as a shield.

Continue to simmer until it thickens and acquires a golden color. It will be ready when the spoon stands by itself into the quince. Distribute in molds and when it has cooled down put them into the fridge to solidify.

No comments:

Post a Comment